Speaking of memory…

We are studying memory this week in our introductory psychology course. Luckily, there are a couple of good recent posts on memory in my favorite psychology blogs…

Over on the excellent blog Cognitive Daily, there is a summary of a research study on the effects of changing camera angles on accuracy of memory for details in the scenes.

Cognitive Daily: Cuts in movies, and their impact on memory:

There was no significant difference in the results for a static camera versus a moving camera, but viewers were significantly less accurate when they saw an abrupt cut in the movie. This decrease in accuracy was almost entirely found at the point in the movie immediately following the cut, suggesting quite strongly that the cut itself momentarily disoriented viewers. So although the perceptual system can handle cuts in a movie presentation, those cuts do have some cost.

PsyBlog has a fascinating post on studies of the “tip-of-the-tongue” phenomenon.

Technorati Tags: ,

Published by

Dana C. Leighton, Ph.D.

I am a social psychologist, broadly interested in the psychological basis of peace and conflict. I am working for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as a Program Analyst, leading our survey research to better understand how our disaster response is promoting equity in service delivery, workforce readiness, and recovery and mitigation efforts.