Cognitive Daily: Unknown White Male

I posted in this space a while back about the film Unknown White Male. Cognitive Daily has an article about the cognitive aspects of it. Read the comments, and the Washington Post article referenced in one of the comments.
Cognitive Daily: Unknown White Male:

A few nights ago, Greta and I watched the movie Unknown White Male, which purports to be a true case history of a 33-year-old man, Doug Bruce, who suddenly and inexplicably lost his entire episodic memory and much of his semantic memory. In fact, the movie demonstrates the inadequacy of such categories — what, for example, is the memory of the concept “ocean”? In one sense, it’s purely semantic: an ocean is a large body of salt water. But when Bruce visits the ocean for the first time following his amnesia, he is overwhelmed with a vast array of new sensations, from the sound and power of the surf, to the water filtering the soft sand through his feet. This particular ocean visit could become an episodic memory, but isn’t there a semantic aspect to the power of the surf? Bruce can’t remember whether or not he can swim, but when he dives into the water, he quickly realizes he can stroke effortlessly through the waves. Is all knowledge of swimming procedural, or are there finer points of such knowledge, such as “keep your elbows up” better characterized as semantic?

In my comment to Dave’s post, I suggest this may be a case of Dissociative Fugue. What do you think?

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Published by

Dana C. Leighton, Ph.D.

I am a social psychologist, broadly interested in the psychological basis of peace and conflict. I am working for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as a Program Analyst, leading our survey research to better understand how our disaster response is promoting equity in service delivery, workforce readiness, and recovery and mitigation efforts.