Sleep abnormalities under the influence of Ambien

Developing Intelligence points me toward an article from New Scientist, which is relevant to our recent classroom discussion of sleep in Introduction to Psychology. The article covers reports of Ambien being related to strange sleepwalking behaviors and other sleep abnormalities.

Sleep medication linked to bizarre behaviour – health – 06 February 2007 – New Scientist:

In one of these sleepwalking cases a patient woke with a paintbrush in her hand after painting the front door to her house. Another case involved a woman who gained 23 kilograms over seven months while taking zolpidem. “It was only when she was discovered in front of an open refrigerator while asleep that the problem was resolved,” according to the report.

Technorati Tags: ,

Published by

Dana C. Leighton, Ph.D.

I am a social psychologist, broadly interested in the psychological basis of peace and conflict. I am working for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as a Program Analyst, leading our survey research to better understand how our disaster response is promoting equity in service delivery, workforce readiness, and recovery and mitigation efforts.